B+ Grades, A+ College Application (Paperback)
How to Present Your Strongest Self, Write a Standout Admissions Essay, and Get Into the Perfect School for You
Ten Speed Press, 9781607743415, 256pp.
Publication Date: July 23, 2013
Less-than-perfect grades? No problem!
Contrary to popular opinion, you don’t need to have a 4.0 GPA or a perfect jump shot to get into a good college. This insider’s guide reveals easy tweaks that will pay off big-time in showing admissions officers that you as a whole—not just your SAT scores—are a perfect fit for their incoming class. With stellar advice on getting into schools that will allow you to thrive, this handbook reveals how to:
- Find great colleges that are a good match for your strengths (and will overlook less-relevant weaknesses)
- Painlessly beef up your application
- Tailor extracurriculars to showcase your uniqueness
- Make sure your recommendation letters emphasize the right qualities
- Write original essays that reveal traits beyond your transcript
- Make an impression on admissions officers and college interviewers
- Create an early-admissions strategy to increase your likelihood of acceptance
- Help your chances if you’re deferred
- Get into brand-name schools through the side door
- Communicate about learning disabilities or special circumstances
- Get scholarship money based on attributes other than grades
- Customize your financial aid strategy
BONUS: Includes an appendix of 130+ selective colleges to consider!
About the Author
JOIE JAGER-HYMAN, EdD, served as assistant director of admissions for Dartmouth College. After completing a doctorate in education policy at Harvard University, she founded educational consulting company College Prep 360. Dr. Jager-Hyman lives in Brooklyn, New York.
Praise For B+ Grades, A+ College Application: How to Present Your Strongest Self, Write a Standout Admissions Essay, and Get Into the Perfect School for You…
—SALLY RUBENSTONE, columnist, “Ask the Dean,” CollegeConfidential.com
“The decisions made during the college admissions process can have a huge impact on your life. This book provides an expert-crafted road map for this crucial period.”
—CAL NEWPORT, author, How to Be a High School Superstar