And in Health (Paperback)
A Guide for Couples Facing Cancer Together
Trumpeter, 9781611800173, 233pp.
Publication Date: May 14, 2013
- How to forge yourselves into a powerful team and avoid common conflict points
- Dealing with physicians and getting the best care possible, along with tips for navigating the medical world
- Strategies for coping with the emotions that can interfere with your relationship--anger, mood swings, spouse fears, and depression
- Distinguishing between supportive and draining people in your lives, and learning to invite and accept help
- Opening to new types of intimacy and making peace with dependence.
About the Author
Praise For And in Health: A Guide for Couples Facing Cancer Together…
“Shapiro is a triple threat: a psychologist who has been both a cancer patient and the spouse of a patient. He brings these perspectives to this terrifically helpful book that will assist couples as they face the challenges of serious illness. Lucid, practical, and informed by research and interviews with patients and their spouses, Shapiro provides a blueprint for managing the illness and succeeding as a couple.”—Andrew Weil, MD, author of 8 Weeks to Optimum Health and Spontaneous Happiness
"A go-to manual for any couple facing a cancer diagnosis. Dan Shapiro provides critical tools, strategies, and compassionate reassurance to help couples manage the challenges of a cancer experience as a team, and strengthen their relationship in the process. Shapiro has experienced these issues inside and out as a medical professional, cancer survivor, and caregiver, and he delivers his hard-earned wisdom in an easy, pragmatic and humorous style."—Heidi Adams, President and CEO, Critical Mass Young Adult Cancer Alliance