The Writer's Legal Guide, Fourth Edition (Paperback)
Allworth, 9781621532422, 352pp.
Publication Date: August 1, 2013
List Price: 19.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
In an increasingly digitized and complex publishing world, writers need to know how to protect themselves against copyright infringement, legal trouble, and unwise concessions to publishers. Still the author’s foremost advocate for copyright protection, fair contracts, and free expression, the Authors Guild has once again partnered with Allworth Press to update this invaluable reference. Thoroughly revised to reflect the many changes in the publishing industry, the fourth edition offers plain-English explanations of legal and business aspects of the trade, from electronic rights and ebooks to contracts and accounting. Other topics include:
- Registering copyrights, including online
- Taxes and bookkeeping
- Following fair use guidelines
- Negotiating contracts with publishers and agents
- Obtaining permissions to use others’ work
- Dealing with periodical, syndication, film, television, play, and audio rights agreements
- Handling business disputes
- Understanding libel, privacy, and the limits of free expression
- Avoiding self-publishing missteps
- Planning authors’ estates