The Joy of Art
How to Look At, Appreciate, and Talk about Art
Other Editions of This Title:
Written by a practicing artist, this book decodes and maps the basic elements of visual art, leading the reader to a greater understanding and appreciation. Not an art history lesson per se, this illustrated guide is rather a tool kit to make the study of art and a visit to the museum truly rewarding. An entertaining and informative read, The Joy of Art offers the reader:
- A working art vocabulary to help you identify and explain what you’re looking at
- Answers to many of the questions you may have about visual art in general
- A summary of the basic criteria to consider when looking at art
- Highlights of the primary art genres and an introduction to the artists who pursued them
- Many visual examples of aesthetic considerations and practices
- Interesting facts about your favorite artists and clues to why they made the choices they did
- A few games to test your new skills
The Joy of Art contains 150 color photographs and many interesting insights from an artist-author who takes readers behind the curtain and into the studio to uncover what actually goes into making a work of art. If you love art, this book will take your appreciation to a new level. Not only will your enjoyment of art increase, you’ll be able to clearly communicate your understanding to others.
Praise For The Joy of Art: How to Look At, Appreciate, and Talk about Art…
Allworth, 9781621537045, 352pp.
Publication Date: April 7, 2020