Original Mind (Hardcover)
Uncovering Your Natural Brilliance
Sounds True, 9781622031948, 254pp.
Publication Date: May 1, 2014
What would it feel like to experience the world again like a child--deeply engaged with our senses and filled with wonder and creativity?
Original Mind takes us on an odyssey back to our "beginner's mind," and into our many undeveloped potentials. Through fascinating research, insights, stories, and engaging practices largely overlooked by other "brain science" books, neuroscience and learning pioneer Dee Joy Coulter challenges us to question the conventional definitions and limitations of our minds, and then to move beyond them. This delight-driven odyssey explores a vast landscape of untapped dimensions of consciousness, including:
- How to see again with the fresh wonder of an infant
- Calming, Enriching, Magnetizing, and Self-Regulating--four keys to character development and emotional resilience
- How reading profoundly changes our brains, and how to develop the remarkable capacities of the "pre-literate" mind
- Engaging the body to enrich the art of thinking
- Boredom, Complexity, Ambiguity, Permeability, and Novelty--five "tolerances" to liberate creativity and joy
- Protecting--and expanding--our cognitive faculties as we age
- Blending newfound intuitive skills and "school-learned" abilities to navigate the complex demands of the modern world, and much more