Moon Belize (Paperback)
Moon Travel, 9781631211478, 424pp.
Publication Date: November 3, 2015
Moon Travel Guides: Your World Your Way With turquoise waters, dreamlike islands, and pristine rainforests, Belize is a sensory feast: dive in with Moon Belize.
Inside you'll find:
Inside you'll find:
- Flexible, strategic itineraries for every timeline and budget, from one week of highlights to a three-week adventure through the whole country, with themed trip ideas like "The Mundo Maya," "Wildlife Adventures," and "Underwater Bliss"
- Curated advice for outdoor adventurers, archeology aficionados, foodies, and more
- Must-see attractions and off-beat ideas for making the most of your trip: Canoe to a farmers market to sample fresh pupusas and cashew wine. Hike rainforests filled with medicinal trees and howler monkeys, snorkel the second-largest (and best preserved) coral reef in the world, or explore ancient Mayan ceremonial caves and cool off beneath the waterfalls. Spend your day at the beach, and your night dancing barefoot in the sand to the sound of Garifuna drums
- Expert advice on when to go, what to pack, and where to stay, from Belize transplant-turned-local Lebawit Lily Girma
- Full-color photos and detailed maps for navigating the cayes and mainland on your own
- Handy phrases in Kriol, Garifuna, and Q'eqchi' Mayan
- Detailed background information on the landscape, climate, wildlife, and culture
- Travel tips on health and safety, traveling solo as a woman, getting around with children or as a senior, and suggestions for LGBTQ+ visitors and travelers with disabilities
About the Author
Born in Ethiopia, Lebawit Lily Girma was nine months old when her parents moved to the West African country of Cote d'Ivoire. She has loved travel ever since: exploring cultures, learning languages, and studying on several continents, including Europe and the Americas. After settling in the United States and practicing law for seven years, Lily took a leap of faith and went on sabbatical to pursue her true passions: travel, writing, and photography. After her first visit to Belize in 2010, she was determined to return. A year later, Lily was commissioned as an in-house writer and photographer for the Belize Tourism Board. She explored Belize extensively, sharing her adventures through a collection of over 100 online articles, blog posts, and photo essays. Belize's diverse cultures and people struck a chord with Lily and she eventually returned to Belize for long-term stays while researching freelance articles on the country. Lily's writing and photography have been published by CNN Travel, BBC Travel, MorningCalm magazine, Every Day With Rachael Ray, The Travel Channel, AFAR, New York magazine, The Latin Kitchen, and American Way, among others. When not in the United States, Lily spends her time in Belize and other parts of the Caribbean.