Moon Dominican Republic (Paperback)
Moon Travel, 9781631212871, 392pp.
Publication Date: October 25, 2016
Make Your Escape with Moon Travel Guides Diamond white beaches, cool forests, countrywide carnivals, and never ending music: discover for yourself why so many have fallen head over heels for the Dominican Republic. Get the down-low on the DR with Moon Dominican Republic. What You'll Find in Moon Dominican Republic
- Local insight from frequent resident Lebawit Lily Girma
- Curated trip advice for culture buffs, honeymooners, foodies, night owls, or outdoor adventurers, whether you're in the Caribbean for a few days or a few weeks
- Full-color, vibrant photos throughout
- Detailed maps for exploring on your own, and useful tips on public transportation, car and bike rentals, and air travel
- Strategic itineraries for every budget, passion, and timeline, including: The Best of the Dominican Republic in 10 Days, Romancing the DR, Best Beaches, Diving and Snorkeling, Roots and Rhythms, Social Impact Tourism, and Adventure Awaits
- Fun ideas catered to every kind of traveler: Take a dip in the crystal-clear water, and dry off with a walk to one of the best seaside fish shacks for lunch. Enjoy a rich Dominican mangu and coffee for breakfast before a day of snorkeling alongside spotted eagle rays. Wander the clamor of the outdoor markets, and stroll amid restored Spanish colonial buildings and boutique sidewalk restaurants. Hike to hidden waterfalls or go zip lining through the forest, and dance the night away to local live merengue
- Focused coverage of Santo Domingo, Punta Cana and the Southeast Coast, the Samana Peninsula, Puerto Plata and the North Coast, Santiago and the Cibao Valley, and Barahona and the Southwest
- Thorough background information on the landscape, plants and animals, history, government, and culture
- Handy tools including a Spanish phrasebook, health and safety tips, and visa information
About the Author
Travel writer and photographer Lebawit Lily Girma was nine months old when her parents moved the family from Ethiopia to Cote d'Ivoire. She grew up and studied in francophile Africa, England and the United States, and fell in love with travel and exploring cultures. After graduating from the University of Virginia School of Law and practicing in Washington DC at a top US firm for several years, Lily took a leap of faith to pursue travel writing and photography. She focused on the Caribbean, a region she has now explored and loved for the past 10 years. The Dominican Republic, Belize and Jamaica kept her returning, including for long term stays. While writing and researching this edition, Lily spent a full year living in the Dominican Republic and traveled the entire country solo, in addition to her past visits. Her Spanish fluency helps her blend in like a local, finding those uncrowded spots that travelers crave and capturing the nuances of Dominican culture. Her favorite base is the Puerto Plata coast, for its diverse landscape, cultural activities and proximity to the Cibao Valley. Lily's writing and photography on the Dominican Republic and other Caribbean destinations have been published in Sunday Times Travel Magazine, AFAR, Here & Beyond Magazine, CNN Travel, BBC Travel, MorningCalm Magazine, Every Day With Rachael Ray, The Travel Channel, New York Magazine, and American Way, among others. When not living in the United States, Lily splits her time between the Dominican Republic and Belize.