Moon Japan (Paperback)
Plan Your Trip, Avoid the Crowds, and Experience the Real Japan (Travel Guide)
Moon Travel, 9781631217111, 784pp.
Publication Date: February 25, 2020
List Price: 27.99*
* Individual store prices may vary.
From the world's busiest intersection to the most serene hot springs, modernity and tradition mingle in Japan. Experience the natural wonder and rich culture of a country unlike any other with Moon Japan. Inside you'll find:
- Flexible itineraries including a two week 'Best of Japan' and a week in and around Tokyo
- Strategic advice for spiritual seekers, anime fans, foodies, fashionistas, hikers, and more
- The top sights and unique experiences: Wander the shrines and temples of Ueno-koen park and stop in Tokyo National Museum for world-renowned Japanese art. Learn about samurai heritage in Sanmachi Suji or zazen meditation at the Buddhist temples of Kyoto, and get an unforgettable lesson in 20th century history at Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park
- Outdoor adventures: Hike the trails of Mt. Fuji or the river-filled valley of Kamikochi and relax in a communal onsen hot spring. Ski or snowboard at a world-class resort, surf in the Pacific off the coast of Shikoku, or dive along the coral reefs of Okinawa
- The best local flavors: Feast on ramen or an elaborate spread of sushi, sample fresh seafood at the world's largest fish market in Tokyo, and drink your way through the famed beer scene in Sapporo
- Honest insight from American expat and longtime Tokyo local Jonathan DeHart
- Full-color, vibrant photos throughout
- Detailed maps and useful tips for navigating public transportation
- Focused coverage of Tokyo, Mt. Fuji, Kanazawa, Kyoto, Kansai, Hiroshima and Miyajima, Okinawa, Tohoku and Hokkaido, Shikoku and Kyushu, and more
- Thorough background information on the landscape, wildlife, history, government, and culture
- Handy tools including health and safety tips, customs and conduct, and information for LGBTQ, female, and senior travelers, as well as families and travelers with disabilities
With Moon's practical advice and insider tips, you can experience the best of Japan.
Exploring more of Asia? Check out Moon Vietnam.
About the Author
Jonathan DeHart is a Tokyo-based journalist and editor who first came to Japan at the impressionable age of 21 to study the language. He writes primarily about culture and social trends in Asia. With more than 500 published articles, his work has been selected for various "best of" lists by The Washington Post, The Atlantic, The Huffington Post, Foreign Policy and Real Clear World. He previously worked for both print and online media in Shanghai.