Best Boy (Hardcover)
Liveright Publishing Corporation, 9781631490477, 256pp.
Publication Date: August 24, 2015
List Price: 24.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
New York Times Editor's Choice People Magazine Pick of the Week AWashington Post Notable Book Library Journal Top Ten Books of 2015 BookPage Top Five Books of 2015 For fans ofThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time comes this landmark novel about autism, memory, and, ultimately, redemption.
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- What is the significance of the book’s title? How does being a ‘best boy’ shape Todd’s identity and development?generic viagra price canada
- Discuss Todd’s relationship with his family. How do they deal with his disability?generic viagra price canada
- Do you think it was fair of Todd’s mother to send him away to so many institutions?generic viagra price canada
- What role do Nate and his family play in Todd’s life?generic viagra price canada
- How does Nate change throughout the story? In your opinion, was he a likeable character? Would you have acted differently in his situation?generic viagra price canada
- Discuss the significance of Todd’s stick in the woods, which Mike breaks after Todd rats him out. What purpose does it serve in the story? Why do you think Todd returns to it before going home in chapter 29?generic viagra price canada
- Discuss the significance of the encyclopedia (AKA, Mr. B).generic viagra price canada
- In Chapter 17, Todd recalls an incident that happened several years ago with Nate’s family. Beth had asked Todd to watch her sons at the restaurant while she stepped out for a phone call, and while Todd wasn’t paying attention the boys run onto the street and cause a car crash. Nate asks Beth, “You left him in charge?” Do you think it was Beth’s fault? How does this incident affect their relationship with Todd?generic viagra price canada
- What scene did you find most poignant?generic viagra price canada
- What events from Todd’s early childhood do you believe were most instrumental (or detrimental) to his development?generic viagra price canada
- Do you think that Martine’s influence on Todd was positive or negative? Do you think it was right for Martine to convince Todd to go off of his medication?generic viagra price canada
- What were your thoughts on the ending of the book? Did you feel hopeful for Todd’s future?generic viagra price canada
- There are many things still unknown about autism, which is said to be “the largest childhood epidemic in history” (181). According to Todd, “The spectrum is so wide that actually almost anyone can be on it” (183). Did reading the novel alter your view on autism? Did it change your thoughts about mental institutions?generic viagra price canada