Gap Year Girl
A Baby Boomer Adventure Across 21 Countries
She Writes Press, 9781631528200, 372pp.
Publication Date: September 1, 2015
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
1. If you were able to take a Gap Year, what would you do? Where would you go? With whom would you go or would you go alone?
2. What barriers – financial, emotional, logistical, and other – would you have to overcome in order to take a year off?
3. Discuss what specific steps you could take to minimize homesickness while away.
4. Which of the destinations the author visited intrigued you most and why? Which least interested you and why?
5. Have you ever visited any of the places in the book and if so, were your experiences similar or different from those of the author?
6. Discuss the pros and cons of taking an adult Gap Year/Senior Year Abroad. Are you considering taking a Gap Year in the future?
7. Did you like the author and her husband? Why or why not? Do they seem like people you’d like to spend time with?
8. If you spent a year away, how would you record your experiences? Journals, podcasts, blogs, online picture albums? How often do you think you would communicate with loved ones at home?
9. While thinking back about the author’s year away, is there anything you would do differently if you were in her shoes?
10. Discuss the role adventure plays in your life. Do you actively search out adventure or try to avoid it? Would you like to have less/more adventure in your life?
11. What is most important to you when you travel? Meeting people? Learning about the culture? Visiting museums? Exploring the countryside? Eating the local food? Relaxing?
12. Are there differences between travel and vacation? If so, what are they?