Moon Dominican Republic (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Moon Travel, 9781640490468, 400pp.
Publication Date: September 17, 2019
List Price: 21.99*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Diamond white beaches, countrywide carnivals, and irresistible music: discover why so many have fallen head-over-heels for the DR. Inside Moon Dominican Republic you'll find:
- Flexible itineraries including the best of the Dominican Republic in 10 days, plus roundups of the best beaches, spots for diving and snorkeling, outdoor adventures, and more
- Strategic advice for honeymooners, foodies, night owls, and more, whether you're in the DR for a few days or a few weeks
- The top activities and unique experiences: Don a mask and join in the frenzy of Carnival or dance the night away to live merengue. Visit a cacao plantation or organic coffee farm, snack on fried plantains or a breakfast of mangú, and explore the bustling markets. Stroll along cobblestone streets and admire 16th-century churches, palaces, courthouses, and statues or take a community tour for a deeper understanding of local life
- Outdoor adventures: Enjoy miles of sand and clear water for sunbathing, swimming, and playing in the waves. Hike to hidden waterfalls or zipline through the forest. Dive to shipwrecks, snorkel alongside spotted eagle rays, or try kitesurfing
- Ways to respectfully engage with culture from DR-insider Lebawit Lily Girma, from supporting small businesses to exploring ethically and sustainably
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Thorough background on the landscape, wildlife, history, government, and culture
- Handy tools including a Spanish phrasebook, health and safety tips, visa information, and advice for LGBTQ, senior, and solo travelers
With Moon Dominican Republic's practical advice and local insight, you can find your adventure.
Craving more of the Caribbean? Try Moon Bahamas or Moon Aruba.
About the Author
Born in Ethiopia, Lebawit Lily Girma was nine months old when her parents moved to the West African country of Côte d'Ivoire. She has loved travel ever since: exploring cultures and learning languages on various continents, including Europe and the Americas. After graduating from the University of Virginia School of Law and practicing in Washington DC at a top US firm for several years, Lily took a leap of faith to pursue travel writing and photography. She focused on the Caribbean, a region she has now explored and loved for the past 10 years. The Dominican Republic, Belize, and Jamaica kept her returning, including for long-term stays.
While writing and researching this edition, Lily spent a full year living in the Dominican Republic and traveled the entire country solo, in addition to her past visits. Her Spanish fluency helps her blend in like a local, finding those uncrowded spots that travelers crave and capturing the nuances of Dominican culture. Her favorite base is the Puerto Plata coast for its diverse landscape, cultural activities and proximity to the Cibao Valley. Lily's writing and photography on the Dominican Republic and other Caribbean destinations have been published in Sunday Times Travel Magazine, AFAR, Here & Beyond Magazine, CNN Travel, BBC Travel, MorningCalm Magazine, Every Day With Rachael Ray, The Travel Channel, New York Magazine, and American Way, among others. When not living in the United States, Lily splits her time between the Dominican Republic and Belize.