Moon Copenhagen & Beyond (Paperback)
Day Trips, Local Spots, Strategies to Avoid Crowds (Travel Guide)
Moon Travel, 9781640490581, 336pp.
Publication Date: August 6, 2019
List Price: 19.99*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Whether you're sipping coffee by a canal, exploring lavish palaces, or discovering the real meaning of hygge, get to know the Danish capital with Moon Copenhagen & Beyond.
- Explore In and Around the City: Meander through Copenhagen's most interesting neighborhoods, like the Inner City, Vesterbro, Nørrebro, and Christianshavn, and nearby areas, including Kronborg, Kongens Lyngby, Malmö, and more
- Go at Your Own Pace: Choose from tons of itinerary options designed for foodies, history buffs, art lovers, and more
- See the Sights: Stroll cobbled streets and bike along picture-perfect canals, watch the changing of the guard at Amalienborg, picnic on the grounds of the Frederiksberg Palace, and spend an afternoon at the iconic old-school amusement park Tivoli Gardens
- Get Outside the City: Visit the renowned art collection on the shores of the Øresund, unwind in the Swedish coastal city of Malmö, or stroll the old-fashioned fairground in Kongens Lyngby
- Savor the Flavors: Snack on open-faced rugbrød (rye bread) sandwiches or delicious Danish pastries, sample Middle Eastern mezze or shawarma, or dine at Michelin-starred restaurants
- Experience the Nightlife: From wine bars and craft cocktail lounges to thrifty bodegas and pop-up "Friday bars," dig into Copenhagen's vibrant nightlife
- Get to Know the Real Copenhagen: Denmark local Michael Barrett shares his favorite spots in the city
- Full-Color Photos and Detailed Maps throughout, plus a fold-out map
- Handy Tools: Background information on the city's history and culture, plus tips on sustainable travel, what to pack, where to stay, and how to get around
Day trip itineraries, favorite local spots, and strategies to skip the crowds: Take your time with Moon Copenhagen & Beyond.
Want to experience more of Scandinavia? Try Moon Norway. Exploring more of Europe? Check out Moon Rome, Florence & Venice or Moon Barcelona & Madrid.
About the Author
Michael Barrett grew up in Sudbury, a market town in rural southeast England, though his roots are in working-class London. He uprooted to Denmark in the mid-2000s, initially to second city Aarhus, where he studied journalism and the Middle East before later relocating to Copenhagen. The move to Denmark came about through serendipity, but the influence of the Scandinavian country is now as much a part of Michael's character as his London accent - which sounds a bit odd in Danish - and his affection for Suffolk cider. He wrote sports articles for his student newspaper in the United Kingdom, but his first real journalism gig was in Lebanon in 2012, where he contributed as a freelance staff writer with the Beirut franchise of Time Out Magazine. Back in Denmark, Michael began reporting in 2015 with The Local Denmark, an English-language news media aimed at international residents and others interested in Danish goings-on. He went on to become editor for both The Local Denmark and its sister site The Local Norway. Michael is a fully-fledged rye bread aficionado, provided there is no remoulade or curry dressing involved; and he has been known to grumble for entire mornings over the cold Danish winters. He has not once complained about the glorious light, late summer evenings.