Moon Acadia National Park
Seaside Towns, Fall Foliage, Cycling & Paddling (Travel Guide)
- Flexible itineraries for every season, from the best of Acadia in one day to a two-week road trip, designed for day hikers, campers, families, outdoor adventurers, and more
- The best hikes in Acadia: Detailed descriptions, mileage and elevation gains, and difficulty ratings
- Experience the outdoors: Embark on a whale-watching excursion to spot humpbacks, minke whales, porpoises, and puffins. Climb the pink granite steps to Huguenot Head or hike along the secluded rocky shore of Isle de Haut. Sea kayak at sunset, take a leisurely bike ride through fiery fall foliage, or cross-country ski along miles of carriage trails. Take a swim in Echo Lake, summit Cadillac Mountain, and marvel at the tide roaring through Thunder Hole
- Explore around Acadia: Munch on a hot popover with tea, feast on freshly caught lobster, and sip a cold beer at a local microbrewery. Shop for antiques and local artisan goods or wander through the galleries in downtown Bar Harbor. Discover Maine's rich history, admire the coastline from atop a towering lighthouse, and take a scenic drive along Park Loop Road
- How to get there: Up-to-date information on gateway towns, park entrances, fees, reservations, and tours
- Where to stay in and outside the park, from forested campgrounds to historic inns
- Planning tips: When to go, what to pack, safety information, and how to avoid the crowds, with full-color photos and easy-to-use maps throughout
- Expert insight from born-and-bred Mainer Hilary Nangle
- Helpful background on Acadia's wildlife, terrain, culture, and history
Find your adventure in Acadia National Park with Moon.
Exploring the rest of Maine? Try Moon Maine or Moon Coastal Maine.
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
Moon Travel, 9781640494794, 320pp.
Publication Date: October 19, 2021
About the Author
When she tired of her parents asking when she was going to get a "real job," Hilary drew on her writing skills and began seeking out editorial work. She started out editing pro ski tour publications, then became a managing editor for a food trade publication and a features editor for a daily newspaper. Now, she freelances professionally for national magazines, newspapers, and websites.
Hilary never tires of exploring Maine, always seeking out the offbeat and quirky, and rarely resisting the invitation of a back road. To her husband's dismay, she inherited her grandmother's shopping gene and can't pass a used bookstore, artisans gallery, or antiques shop without browsing. She's equally curious about food and has never met a lobster she didn't like. Hilary still divides her year between the coast and the mountains, residing with her husband, Tom Nangle, and an oversized dog, both of whom share her passions for long walks and Maine-made ice cream.