Moon New Mexico (Travel Guide)
List Price: 23.99*
* Individual store prices may vary.
From hiking sandstone canyons to chowing down on southwestern cuisine, fall under the spell of the Land of Enchantment with Moon New Mexico. Inside you'll find:
- Strategic, flexible itineraries with ideas for art lovers, outdoor adventurers, history buffs, and more
- Top experiences and unique activities: Wander through a ghost-town graveyard, count the bullet holes in the ceilings of preserved 19th-century saloons, or visit the birthplace of the atomic bomb. Soar through New Mexico's clear blue sky on a colorful hot air balloon. Spark inspiration and delight in the spirited art scene of Santa Fe, or seek an extraterrestrial experience at the International UFO Museum & Research Center in Roswell
- Savor the flavors: Dig into traditional local cuisine, like red sauce-smothered enchiladas, tender carne adovada, and hearty posole. Indulge in juicy green-chile cheeseburgers or opt for something lighter from one of New Mexico's many organic farm-to-table restaurants
- Outdoor adventures: Go deep on a trek into the mesmerizing underground world of Carlsbad Caverns or venture off-trail in the De-Na-Zin Wilderness to view stunning hoodoos. Raft from surging waters to gentle currents on the Rio Grande or explore the wavelike gypsum dunes of White Sands National Monument
- Ways to respectfully engage with native cultures: Attend a dance ceremony or a powwow, tour a pueblo, or peruse handmade goods at a market
- Local insight from Santa Fe dweller Steven Horak on when to go, where to stay, and how to get around
- Full-color, vibrant photos and detailed maps throughout
- Thorough background on the landscape, wildlife, climate, and local culture, plus advice for families, seniors, international visitors, and LGBTQ+ travelers
- Focused coverage of Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos, Navajo Nation, Las Cruces, Carlsbad, and more
With Moon New Mexico's practical tips and local know-how, you can find your adventure.
Exploring more of the Southwest? Try Moon Arizona & the Grand Canyon or Moon Zion & Bryce. Hitting the road? Try Moon Southwest Road Trip.
Moon Travel, 9781640497610, 432pp.
Publication Date: April 21, 2020
About the Author
When Steven Horak uprooted his life in New York City to move to Santa Fe, he wasn't quite sure what to expect, beyond a new home that would be very different from his old one. Even after a few years in New Mexico, his life is still an adventure. Each day begins and ends with views of the awe-inspiring Sangre de Cristo mountains, which serve as a constant reminder of what makes high desert living so special.
Steven's wanderlust began during a year studying abroad at the University of East Anglia in Norwich, England. Since then he has traveled extensively, contributing to travel guidebooks on Canada, Costa Rica, and the Czech Republic, among others. He also works as a journalist, communications specialist, and photographer. You can view his photo gallery at stevenhorak.smugmug.com.