Moon Wisconsin (Paperback)
Lakeside Getaways, Scenic Drives, Outdoor Recreation (Travel Guide)
Moon Travel, 9781640498549, 500pp.
Publication Date: May 19, 2020
List Price: 23.99*
* Individual store prices may vary.
From majestic forests and verdant farms to rushing rivers and tranquil lakes, experience the Badger State's classic Midwestern charm with Moon Wisconsin. Inside you'll find:
- Strategic itineraries, from a weekend in Milwaukee or Madison to a week-long getaway to Door County, with advice for architecture buffs, foodies, families, outdoor adventurers, and more
- The top activities and unique experiences: Museum-hop in trendy Milwaukee, discover the joys of the open road at the Harley-Davidson museum, and savor the laidback college town vibe in Madison. Check out a typical Wisconsin dairy farm and sample fresh bites of cheese or learn how to churn butter with the whole family. Dig in at a Friday night fish fry and unwind with a locally-brewed craft beer in a historic taproom. Kayak to sea caves, cycle through rolling hills of apple orchards, or hike the rugged cliffs of Devil's Lake
- The best road trips in Wisconsin, including the state's designated Rustic Roads
- Honest advice from native cheesehead Thomas Huhti on when to go, what to pack, and where to stay, from luxe hotels to historic lodges and lakeside cabins
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Recommendations for getting to Wisconsin and getting around, by plane, train, bus, or car (or even boat!)
- Thorough background on the culture, weather, wildlife, outdoor recreation safety, and history
With Moon's practical tips and local insight, you can experience the best of Wisconsin.
For more Midwestern adventures, try Moon Minneapolis & St. Paul or Moon Michigan.
About the Author
Thomas Huhti is a native Cheesehead who wound up studying in China during university (wanderlust has been a familial curse) which ultimately led to a five-year stint traveling the globe and living out of a backpack. A fortuitous meeting with a travel writer on a Chinese mountain opened his eyes to the possibilities of combining travel and writing, his two loves, as a career.
Half a decade of wandering the world made him long for his birthplace, about which he realized he knew precious little. Thomas's four-year pilgrimage around the state to research the first edition of Moon Wisconsin was a gift for his parents, worthy Badgers both. Ultimately, he discovered he bled Badger red and understood where "home" really was.
Now it's a lifelong labor of love (at least outside of deadline crunch times). With the tent drying in the back of the car and a Brewers game on the radio, Thomas can be found wandering Wisconsin's highways, searching for the next hidden spot to uncover.