Mindful of Race (Paperback)
Transforming Racism from the Inside Out
Sounds True, 9781683640813, 280pp.
Publication Date: June 1, 2018
"Racism is a heart disease," writes Ruth King, "and it's curable." Exploring a crucial topic seldom addressed in meditation instruction, this revered teacher takes to her pen to shine a compassionate, provocative, and practical light into a deeply neglected and world-changing domain profoundly relevant to all of us.
With Mindful of Race, Ruth King offers:
Tend first to our suffering, listen to what it is trying to teach us, and direct its energies most effectively for change.
Here, she invites us to explore:
- Ourselves as racial beings, the dynamics of oppression, and our role in racism
- The power of paying homage to our most turbulent emotions, and perceiving the wisdom they hold
- Key mindfulness tools to understand and engage with racial tension
- Identifying our "soft spots" of fear and vulnerability--how we defend them and how to heal them
- Embracing discomfort, which is a core competency for transformation
- How our thoughts and emotions "rigidify" our sense of self--and how to return to the natural flow of who we are
- Body, breath, and relaxation practices to befriend and direct our inner resources
- Identifying our most sensitive "activation points" and tending to them with caring awareness
- "It's not just your pain"--the generational constellations of racial rage and ignorance and how to work with them
- And many other compelling topics