The Birth Guy's Go-To Guide for New Dads (Paperback)
How to Support Your Partner Through Birth, Breastfeeding, and Beyond
New Harbinger Publications, 9781684031597, 224pp.
Publication Date: February 2, 2019
A must-have baby shower gift for expectant dads In this one-of-a-kind guide, dad, doula, and certified lactation counselor Brian Salmon and perinatal mental health and relationship expert Kirsten Brunner offer practical, modern-day survival tips for expectant dads and birth partners.
Gone are the days when fathers would nervously pace the waiting room while their partners gave birth. Dads are participating in childbirth now more than ever before. However, if you're like many men, you may feel unprepared, uncomfortable, or even unwelcome in the birth room. For you, this book offers battle-tested tips to help you get in the game and prepare for one of the most incredible adventures of your life.
Based on the author's Rocking Dadschildbirth course, this book will teach you everything you need to know about supporting your partner through birth, breastfeeding, and beyond. In this guide, you'll discover pointers and advice you won't find in any other childbirth or breastfeeding guide, including:
- A list of items to pack for the hospital that will help mom's labor go more smoothly
- Stealth communication skills that you can utilize during early labor to support mom and keep her in a positive state of mind
- How to write a birth plan that the labor and delivery nurses will actually pay attention to
- What to say and do--and what not to say and do--when mom is in active labor and feeling all the feelings
- A detailed account of what to expect in the delivery room as a birth partner, and how to navigate the unknown terrains when things don't go as planned
- How to help mom achieve proper nipple latch when she attempts breastfeeding for the first time
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, you'll find tips for maintaining a strong relationship with your partner before, during, and after the birth so that you feel closer than ever when you launch into the wild yet wonderful world of parenthood.