Mini Retro Sydney (Hardcover)
New Holland Publishers, 9781742577340, 400pp.
Publication Date: August 3, 2015
Mini Retro Sydney is a fantastic visual throwback to the ‘Harbour City’ in the 1950s and 60s, with never before seen images gathered by vintage photograph collector Ian Collis.
Breathtaking photos of Sydney’s most valuable landmarks provide a retrospective insight into the architecture, automobiles, fashions and popular pastimes of Sydneysiders of the time.
Retro Sydney will have the reader in awe of 1950s and 60s events such as:
• The Opera House under construction, and after completion;
• Jaw-dropping shots of the Harbour Bridge from different sides of the Harbour;
• Queen Elizabeth II on her Royal Tour of Australia in 1954;
• The Royal Easter Show in the 50s and 60s when it was located in Moore Park;
• Old, industrial Pyrmont long before the Star Casino was established;
• Sydneysiders on the beach with families, lifeguards and lovely ladies in swimsuits;
• Suburbs we are all familiar with, as they were in the 1950s and 60s.
About the Author
Ian Collis is a leading authority on sports history and statistics and is also a well-known collector of photographs of popular culture.