A Natural History of the Heart of North America: Revised Edition
Candace Savage's acclaimed and beautifully written guide to the ecology of the prairies, now revised and updated.
Praise for the previous edition of Prairie:
"Impelled with its sense of the miraculous in nature."--Globe and Mail
This revised edition of Prairie features a new preface along with updated research on the effects of climate change on an increasingly vulnerable landscape.
It also offers new information on:
- conservation of threatened species, including the black-tailed prairie dog and farmland birds;
- grassland loss and conservation;
- the health of rivers and the water table;
- the effects of neonicotinoid insecticides on prairie wetlands;
- the benefits of regenerative agriculture.
Illustrated with elegant black-and-white line drawings and maps, this award-winning tome continues to be a highly readable guide to understanding the ecology, geological history, biodiversity, and resilience of the prairies.
Greystone Books, 9781771645942, 336pp.
Publication Date: April 14, 2020