A Cultural History of Gardens (Cultural Histories) (Hardcover)
Bloomsbury Academic, 9781847882653, 1600pp.
Publication Date: July 18, 2013
A Cultural History of Gardens presents an authoritative survey from ancient times to the present. This set of six volumes covers over 2500 years of gardens as physical, social and artistic spaces.
1. A Cultural History of Gardens in Antiquity (600 BCE - 600 CE)
2. A Cultural History of Gardens in the Middle Ages (600 - 1400)
3. A Cultural History of Gardens in the Renaissance (1400 - 1700)
4. A Cultural History of Gardens in the Age of Enlightenment (1700 - 1800)
5. A Cultural History of Gardens in the Age of Empire (1800 - 1900)
6. A Cultural History of Gardens in the Modern Age (1900 - 21st Century)
Each volume discusses the same themes in its chapters:
2. Types of Gardens
4. Use and Reception
5. Visual Representations
6. Verbal Representations
8. Gardens and the Larger Landscape
This structure means readers can either have a broad overview of a period by reading a volume or follow a theme through history by reading the relevant chapter in each volume.
Superbly illustrated, the full six volume set combines to present the most authoritative and comprehensive survey available on gardens through history.
About the Author
Praise For A Cultural History of Gardens (Cultural Histories)…
“VERDICT A wonderful resource for people interested in landscape architecture or anyone looking for an in-depth exploration of the cultural significance of gardens.” —Susanne Caro, University of Montana Libary, Missoula