Chinese 24/7 (Paperback)
Everyday Strategies for Speaking and Understanding Mandarin
Stone Bridge Press, 9781933330822, 355pp.
Publication Date: May 1, 2009
Zero to Fluent with Chinese 24/7
So you want to be able to communicate in Chinese, but you've never learned a foreign language before? That's OK. With this book and its free audio tracks, you'll have everything you need to start from scratch and reach any level you want in spoken Mandarin Chines--the official and most widely used kind of Chinese in mainland China and Taiwan.
Chinese 24/7 is for you if you are:
- a tourist or short-term visitor to China
- a student of Chinese in the U.S. or elsewhere
- a business professional or foreign teacher
- a long-term visitor or expatriate living in China
Chinese 24/7 will give you:
- common, practical vocabulary
- a step-by-step guide on how to pronounce all the sounds in Chinese,
- humorous tips to gently help you overcome common errors and frustrations
- memory tricks
- FAQs that foreigners have when learning Chinese
- common first conversations and other typical encounters
- culturally relevant vocabulary
- tips for increasing your vocabulary using the language "pieces" you already know
- beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels marked throughout
- over 80 audio recordings of a native male and female speaker pronouncing vocabulary and sentence examples--available for free at www.Chinese247Book.com
Albert Wolfe is an American who teaches English at Guangdong Peizheng College in Guangzhou, China. He started teaching himself Chinese when he went to China in 2005. The first real test of his spoken Chinese was in his sixth month in China when he was invited to play a gig with a local rock band--no one in the band spoke English. At the beginning of his second year, Albert started a blog (www.laowaichinese.net) to share tips and strategies he was learning. He discovered that other students of Chinese, who had found the standard array of books and resources lacking in adequate--or practical--information, eagerly adopted his techniques. Chinese 24/7 is Albert's response to the popular demand for a printed and audio-track version of his tips, strategies, and explanations. He has served as a translator in several capacities and has even written a few Chinese pop songs of his own. To this day, Albert has never taken a formal class on Chinese.