Fortune Blue Student Book (Paperback)
Alphabet Publishing, 9781948492171, 88pp.
Publication Date: June 15, 2018
Finalist for the 2018 PIEoneer Award for Digital Innovation of the Year
Jimmy Fortune is a detective who reluctantly agrees to help when his old army buddy's wife mysteriously disappears. To ger her back, he'll have to confront a corrupt corporation, stolen secrets, an alleged affair, and his own past.
Written and filmed by Chasing Time films, especially for the English language classroom, Fortune is a six-episode video series and course that specializes in communication skills. The Fortune series is an engaging and motivating alternative to artificial language learning videos or commercial films that lack a learning focus.
In an approach that draws from research in Conversational Analysis and Pragmatics, the Fortune textbook draws attention to social actions such as offering to help, apologizing, and leave taking, that are key for maintaining relationships and functioning in society. Students are encouraged to look beyond mere helpful words and phrases to reflect on context, relationships, and whole sequences of language while studying and ultimately producing language.
- Fortune Blue videos and learning materials: High Elementary/Pre-Intermediate learners (CEFR level A2)
- 6 units with lessons in 4 parts: vocabulary, grammar, interaction, and extension activities
- 30 teaching hours per level
- Works as a supplemental text or short module/elective class on communication
- Teachers book contains teacher notes with suggestions on how to present the material, and ways to adapt it, a complete answer key, and extension activities.
- Videos are available for free on YouTube or compiled on a USB available through the Alphabet Publishing website.
Fortune Blue Book Map
1. Episode: Help
Grammar: Wh- questions, Wh- words, Subject questions & object questions
2. Episode: A friend in need
Grammar: Past simple, Forms of common regular and irregular verbs
Interaction: Service encounters, Requests and placing orders politely
3. Episode: The clock is ticking
Grammar: Imperatives, Common imperative structures
Interaction: Telephone calls
4. Episode: Safe house
Grammar: Modal verbs: Have to & Should, Form and use
Interaction: Offering to help, Accepting and declining offers
5. Episode: Twists and turns
Grammar: Present perfect, Past participle, Form, meaning and use of present perfect
Interaction: Giving and responding to news
6. Episode: When will it be over?
Grammar: Future time Will, Be going to
Interaction: Taking leave / Goodbyes
Fortune Gold Teacher and Student Books are also available, targeted at High Intermediate/Low Advanced level students.