When to Call a Therapist (Paperback)
Scrivener Books, 9781949165128, 218pp.
Publication Date: June 18, 2019
Whether it's due to fear about asking for help, feeling overwhelmed by which type of help to get, or simply a lack of awareness that their symptoms are danger signs, many people wait far too long to get support when problems crop up.
Frequently, couples enter therapy as a last-ditch effort to save their relationship only to find the damage is too great to recover from. Those dealing with anxiety wait until they start fearing the fear itself or develop unhealthy coping strategies. Substance abusers wait until they hit "rock bottom." And those suffering from prolonged depression lose the energy or will to call a therapist-often with deadly consequences.
But this suffering is needless when help is only a phone call away Drawing on his twenty years of experience in behavioral healthcare and private practice, Robert C. Ciampi, LCSW, helps the reader avoid these painful and unnecessary consequences.
When to Call a Therapist outlines the symptoms and behaviors of the most common mental-health issues people suffer from, as well as when and how to seek help.
This book will help you overcome roadblocks to getting help by teaching you to recognize:
- The symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks and how to prevent them from hijacking your life
- When it's just "the blues" versus serious depression
- The signs of a relationship in trouble and how a therapist can help you repair the damage or work through difficult decisions
- What unhealthy coping strategies look like and what to do instead
- When you're facing abuse, neglect, or serious red flags and how to get help
- How assertiveness and setting healthy boundaries creates freedom
- Which type of therapist specializes in the struggles you face
Get past damaging, counterintuitive thinking ("I'm too anxious or sad to talk to someone") and other barriers to healing. Seeking therapy sooner can help you work through issues before they turn into serious problems. Open these pages and take control of your life today