Five Chapter Books 2 (Paperback)
Systematic Decodable Books Help Developing Readers, including Those with Dyslexia, Learn to Read with Phonics
Dog on a Log Books, 9781949471014, 184pp.
Publication Date: October 11, 2017
Finally, a delightful book series that helps kids learn phonics rules step by step. Fun books designed for anyone learning to read with phonics, especially learners with dyslexia. Start anywhere in the series, according to your child's reading level. All DOG ON A LOG Books follow a Structured Literacy/Orton-Gillingham based phonics sequence. Gameboards, flashcards, and other activities can be downloaded from www.dogonalogbooks.com.
This collection is the five books in Step 2 of the DOG ON A LOG Chapter book series.
The books are:
- Mud On The Path Chapter Book
- The Red Hen Chapter Book
- The Hat And Bug Shop Chapter Book
- Babs The 'Bot Chapter Book
- The Cub Chapter Book
Individual books can also be purchased separately.
a, are, be, could, do, does, eggs, for, from, go, goes, has, have, he, her, here, his, I, into, is, like, likes, me, my, nest, of, OK, onto, or, puts, said, say, says, see, sees, she, should, the, they, to, want, wants, was, we, what, when, would, you, your
Each book has about 550 to 1,000 total words
These are Step 2 Chapter books.
Decodable books let a learner who has been taught the phonics rules and sight words in that book sound them out and read them. These are systematic books because each Step of books build on the skills practiced in the prior Steps.
Most kids who read DOG ON A LOG Books are proud that they can finally read a book without so much frustration.
Cream colored paper, 22 point Verdana font (one of the most dyslexia-friendly fonts)
DOG ON A LOG Phonics Progression
- Consonants, primary sounds
- Short vowels
- Digraphs: ch, sh, th, wh, ck
- 2 and 3 sound words
- Possessive 's
- Bonus letters (f, l,'s, z after short vowel)
- -s suffix
- Letter Buddies: ang, ing, ong, ung, ank, ink, onk, unk
- Consonant Blends to make 4 sound words
- 3 and 4 sound words ending in -lk, -sk
- Digraph blends -nch to make 3 and 4 sound words
- Silent e, including "-ke"
- Exception words containing: ild, old, olt, ind, ost
- 5 sounds in a closed syllable word plus suffix -s (crunch, slumps)
- 3 letter blends and up to 6 sounds in a closed syllable word (script, spring)
- Two syllable words with 2 closed syllables, not blends (sunset, chicken, unlock)
- Two syllable words with all previously introduced sounds including blends, exception words, and silent "e" (blacksmith, kindness, inside)
- Vowel digraphs: ai, ay, ea, ee, ie, oa, oe (rain, play, beach, tree, pie, goat, toe)
WATCH FOR MORE BOOKS AND STEPS COMING SOON