The Hat and Bug Shop (Paperback)
Decodable Books for Phonics Readers and Dyslexia/Dyslexic Learners
Dog on a Log Books, 9781949471489, 26pp.
Publication Date: October 16, 2017
Finally--A delightful book series that gives kids a chance to practice towards mastery of new phonics rules before introducing the next set of rules. Fun and engaging books that are perfect for phonics readers and dyslexic learners. Start anywhere in the series, according to your child's reading level.
Let's GO Books have less text and build confidence towards the same title Chapter Book.
"Do you want to get a bug?"
a, do, does, from, has, have, he, I, like, my, say, says, the, to, want, you
Approximately 130 total words
This is a Step 2 Let's GO book.
The DOG ON A LOG Books series are for phonics readers and dyslexic learners. They are Decodable books which means a child who has been taught the phonics rules and the limited sight words in that book can sound them out and read them. The words used reflect the inclusion of 1 to 3 new phonics rules in each step. There are five books at each step.
The chapter books are written in a chapter format with one picture in most chapters. They are longer, have more detail, and sometimes offer more complexity than the Let's GO Books. They're great for practicing known and new phonics rules. They're also just fun reading.
DOG ON A LOG Let's GO Books are shorter versions of DOG ON A LOG Chapter books. Let's GO books tell the same stories with about 8 pictures and only a few sentences per page. They're perfect as an introduction to the new phonics rules or simply for fun reading for younger kids.
DOG ON A LOG Phonics Progression
- Consonants, primary sounds
- Short vowels
- Digraphs: ch, sh, th, wh, ck
- 2 and 3 sound words
- Possessive 's
- Bonus letters (f, l,'s, z after short vowel)
- -s suffix
- ang, ing, ong, ung, ank, ink, onk, unk
- Consonant Blends to make 4 sound words
- 3 and 4 sound words ending in -lk, -sk
- Digraph blends -nch to make 3 and 4 sound words
- Silent e, including "-ke"
- ild, old, olt, ind, ost
- 5 sounds in a closed syllable word plus suffix -s (crunch, slumps)
- 3 letter blends and up to 6 sounds in a closed syllable word (script, spring)
- Two syllable words with 2 closed syllables, not blends (sunset, chicken, unfit)
Paperbacks have black and white images. The books are optimized for dyslexic learners with cream colored paper and 22 point Verdana font. Research has shown that Verdana is one of the most dyslexia-friendly fonts.
WATCH FOR MORE STEPS AND BOOKS COMING SOON