The Good Luck Stone
Haywire Books, 9781950182046, 296pp.
Publication Date: July 7, 2020
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
1. As a story about friendship, The Good Luck Stone explores what it means to be truly known. In what ways do we curate what others discover about us? Is transparency important to cultivate meaningful relationships?
2. Do you believe in talismans—objects meant to protect from evil or harm? Have you ever owned one?
3. Once she learns Penny is still alive, Audrey feels desperate to tell her side of the story. What does she hope to accomplish when she sets out on her journey? Do her motivations change?
4. As the story progresses, we hear from both Audrey’s and Laurel’s points of view. Do you sympathize with one character more than the other? If so, why?
5. What are your thoughts about Deanna? Did your impression of her change by the end of the story?
6. As Laurel begins to hatch a plan to go after Audrey, are you cheering for her? Or do you think she’s better off minding her own business?
7. Imagine being in the war and finding yourself in a similar position to Audrey’s. Would you have made the same decision?
8. So many years later, does Audrey believe she made the right decision? To what extent is she satisfied with the life she has led?
9. Based upon what we see about their friendship, would Kat or Penny have made a similar sacrifice for Audrey if she’d needed help?
10. At the story’s conclusion, are you optimistic about Laurel and her relationships with Clay and Oliver?