The Essential Karate Book (Hardcover)
For White Belts, Black Belts and All Levels in Between [dvd Included] [With DVD]
Tuttle Publishing, 9784805312971, 208pp.
Publication Date: August 12, 2014
List Price: 18.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
The Essential Karate Book is an illustrated, informative guide to the techniques, philosophy and practice of karate With 20 chapters covering practically every aspect of karate, this in-depth reference will assist students and instructors as they plot their course through karate instruction, benefiting those at all levels. The Essential Karate Book contains 200 diagrams mapping out moves, 300 color photographs, and a DVD, making it a comprehensive general karate reference for Western audiences. Readers of this karate guide will learn about:
- The origins and history of karate
- Required behavior, clothing and etiquette, as well as the fundamentals of karate and the different styles that share them
- Stances, blocks, strikes and kicks
- Preparing your body through warm-ups, stretching, and conditioning through karate-specific exercises
- Kata grading and fighting (kumite) techniques and competition rules
- Martial arts weapons (kobudo), and MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) applications
About the Author
Graeme John Lund began karate fairly late in life, and was a regular participant in competitive karate. When he graduated to First Dan, he realized the fundamentals and essence were what he enjoyed most. His 20 years of experience in self-defense have been distilled into this book. Foreword writer Morne Swanepoel is the President of CombatCoaching.com and is a Certified Instructor and Director for Jim Wagner's Reality-Based Personal Protection. He has over 30 years of martial arts experience in various styles.