Modern Japanese Short Stories (Paperback)
Twenty-Five Stories by Japan's Leading Writers
Tuttle Publishing, 9784805315248, 512pp.
Publication Date: July 16, 2019
List Price: 19.99*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Modern Japanese Short Stories is a remarkable collection of Japanese stories from the pioneers of contemporary Japanese literature. This volume's twenty-five stories by as many authors display a wide range of style and subject matter--offering a revealing picture of modern Japanese culture and society. The stories in this anthology include:
- "Tattoo" by Junichiro Tanizaki--a large spider tattooed on the back of a young woman results in unexpected changes
- "Autumn Mountain" by Ryunosuke Akutagawa--vivid memories of a beautiful painting leads a man to wonder if the it ever actually existed
- "The Priest and His Love" by Yukio Mishima--a Buddhist priest finds his path to enlightenment challenged after falling in love
- "The Moon on the Water" by Nobel Prize winner Yasunari Kawabata--a young woman who cared for her ailing first husband through most of their marriage regrets remarrying after his death
About the Author
Ivan Morris (1925-1976) was a highly regarded figure in the field of Japanese studies. He was a professor at Columbia University from 1960 to 1973 where he was head of the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures. He is known for his work on Japanese history and literature, though his numerous books, articles, and translations reflect the familiarity he had with all aspects of Japan. Seiji M. Lippit is Professor of Asian Languages & Cultures at the University of California, Los Angeles. He is the author of Topographies of Japanese Modernism and the editor of The Essential Akutagawa. He has written widely on 20th century Japanese literature and translated numerous works of fiction and criticism. Masakazu Kuwata is a prolific artist who has created illustrations for many books during his long career, including Incredible Japan and The Life of an Amorous Man. His greatest work, "Pieta of Japan," is displayed in the Collection of Modern Religious Art at the Vatican Museum.