On the cover of this month's Indie Next list is NOT MY FATHER'S SON: A Memoir, by Alan Cumming
View this month's complete Indie Next List.
View from a bookseller
Indie Next authors talk about their books...
Garth Stein introduces his new book, A SUDDEN LIGHT: A Novel, about which Andrea Jones from The Galaxy Bookshop in Hardwick, VT says: “Stein’s new novel of family relationships and responsibilities explores the connections between the living and the dead, between parents and children, and what it means to be stewards of the land. Two very compelling characters drive the story: a 14-year-old boy trying to patch his family back together and a centuries-old ghost trying to make sure that the wrongs of the past are put right so that a family’s legacy can be maintained. A Sudden Light is a compelling search for faith and meaning in a world where bad things sometimes happen.”
Indie Next around the web. . .
“The history of incarceration in America is deeply colored by our history of racism and poverty. Stevenson's work providing legal aid to death row inmates exposes truly inhumane, unjust practices and astonishing legal carelessness often fueled by outright prejudice. JUST MERCY does not stop at reportage, but examines the costs of these practices to the individual, the family, the community, and society at large. This is a powerful book about one man's efforts to address injustice and a clarion call for reform not just for those imprisoned, but for a society that has lost its way.”
Why shop Indie?
When you shop at an independently owned business, your entire community benefits:The Economy
- Spend $100 at a local and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
- Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
- More of your taxes are reinvested in your community--where they belong.
- Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.
- Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
- Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
- More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.
Now is the time to stand up and join your fellow individuals in the IndieBound mission supporting local businesses and celebrating independents.