On May 29, we held our Celebration of Bookselling Luncheon, hosting the inaugural Indies Choice Book Awards. The Indies Choice winners are voted on by indie booksellers across the country, chosen to reflect the unique titles championed by indies. Here are the categories and winners:
- Best Indie Buzz Book (Fiction): The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
- Best Conversation Starter (Nonfiction): The Wordy Shipmates, by Sarah Vowell
- Best Author Discovery: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, by David Wroblewski
- Best Indie Young Adult Buzz Book (Fiction): The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman
- Best New Picture Book: Bats at the Library, by Brian Lies
- Most Engaging Author: Sherman Alexie
While most of the winning authors came to the ceremony (and they were awesome), some couldn't make it, but sent acceptance videos in their place. Check out the following from David Wroblewski, Brian Lies and Sarah Vowell.
Also be sure to check out the Indies Choice Honor Books here!