Effective Date: July 9, 2018
QUICK GUIDE TO CONTENTS
The American Booksellers Association is a national not-for-profit trade organization created to help independently-owned bookstores grow and succeed. IndieBound.org is an ABA website dedicated to encouraging the use of independent bookstores.
For services and Websites used by residents of the European Economic Area, the American Booksellers Association is the data controller responsible for your personal data.
There are several ways we may obtain information about you, including through information you provide to us directly and information we automatically collect. This includes data that identifies you personally whether directly (i.e., name) or indirectly (i.e., information about your online use).
A. Information You Provide
ABA collects information from you when you choose to share it with us. This may include when you visit the Site, register or create an online account with or through the Site, place an order, request information from us, sign up for newsletters or our email list, fill out a survey, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with or contact us. The information we collect may include your name, address, telephone or mobile number, and email address.
You may also provide us with certain information in connection with specification transactions:
- Information You Provide When You Make a Purchase. If you make a purchase from us, we collect a credit/debit card number and related financial information (such as CVV, expiration date, and billing address).
- Information You Provide at Off-Line Events. If you provide us with any information while attending one of our events offline, we may retain this information. This may include, but is not limited to an email address, phone number, or physical address.
B. Information Automatically Collected
Please note that we automatically collect the following information about you:
- Computer or Device. We may automatically collect your IP address or other unique identifier or information from the computer, mobile device, tablet or other device you use to access the Site, including the browser type, device type, operating system, software version, hardware model, mobile network information, proxy address of your Internet Service Provider; and the domain name from which you accessed the Site.
- Usage Information. We may also collect information about your use of the Site, including the date and time you visit the Site, the areas or pages of the Site that you visit, the amount of time you spend viewing or using the Site, the number of times you return to the Site, other click-stream or site usage data, emails that you open, forward or click-through to our Site, and other sites that you may visit.
- Third Party Service Providers. We may use third party service providers to support our Site. Some of these service providers may use technology such as cookies, web beacons, pixel tags, log files, Flash cookies, or HTML5 cookies to receive, collect, and store information.
To learn more about your advertising choices relating to the collection and use of your information, please see the Your Rights and Choices section below.
C. Combination of Information
We may combine the information we receive from and about you, including information you provide to us and information we automatically collect through our Site, as well as information collected offline, across other computers or devices that you may use, and from third-party sources.
We will have a lawful basis for processing your data when:
- We need to process your information in order to provide you with the products or service you have requested or to enter into a contract;
- We have a legitimate interest for processing your data – e.g., for fraud prevention; network and information systems security; data analytics; enhancing, modifying, or improving our services; identifying usage trends; determining the effectiveness of promotional campaigns; and advertising personalization of the service using data to make it easier and faster for you to place orders;
- You have consented to such processing; and/or
- We are required to do this by law (for example, where it is necessary to retain it in connection with potential litigation).
We may use the information we collect from and about you for a variety of business purposes, including the following:
- To respond to your inquiries, fulfill orders, and contact and communicate with you when necessary;
- To enhance your online shopping experience, including as a way to recognize you and welcome you to the Site;
- To review the usage and operations of our Site, develop new products or services, and conduct analysis to enhance or improve our content, products, and services;
- To provide you with customized Site content, targeted offers, and advertising on the Site, via email, or across other websites, mobile applications, social media or online services;
- To contact you with information, newsletters and promotional materials from ABA or on behalf of our partners and affiliates;
- To use your data in an aggregated non-specific format for analytical and demographic purposes (this processing may involve profiling – for example to create audiences based on demographic or location-based information for marketing and customization purposes);
- To address problems with the Site or our business, and to protect the security or integrity of the Site and our business;
- To use and disclose your credit/debit card information only to process payments and prevent fraud; and
- For other purposes disclosed at the time you provide your information or otherwise with your consent.
Additionally, if you use the Site to connect with third party services you authorize us to use information from and about you, on your behalf, to interact with these third party services based on your requests.
A. Sharing of Information by Us
We may share your personal information with:
- Our Affiliates: We may share your information with ABA affiliates and subsidiaries bearing the ABA or IndieBound brands for business, operational, promotional and marketing purposes.
- Third Party Service Providers: We may share your information with third-party service providers that provide business, professional or technical support functions for us (including to the extent necessary or desirable to fulfill or ship your order or complete your transaction), help us operate our business and the Site, or administer activities on our behalf. We may share your information with third-party service providers in order to fulfill your request or otherwise complete a service provided to you.
- Select Third Parties: We may share your personal information with any affiliates, partners, agents or other parties whose products and services may be of interest to you. If you do not want us to share your information in this manner, please see the "Your Rights and Choices" section below. From time to time, we also may share your personal information with third parties for research and development purposes.
- Aggregate or Anonymous Non-Personal Information: We may also share aggregate, anonymous, or de-identified non-personal information with third parties for their marketing or analytics uses.
- Other: We also may share your information as disclosed to you at the time of collection.
B. Sharing of Information by You (Online Blogs and Forums)
The Site offers many ways to find, enjoy, and share content. Your activity in connection with the Site may include filling out surveys, reviewing and rating products or services, inquiring about or purchasing products or services, participation in online communities, “liking” or “sharing” our content to your social media accounts or pages or otherwise interacting with the Site. Any information you may disclose on our Site, in blogs, on message boards, in chat rooms, or on other public areas on the Site or other third-party websites, applications, or services that this Site may link to, becomes public information. Please exercise caution when disclosing personal information in these public areas.
We will keep your personal data for as long as we need it for the purpose it is being processed for. For example, we will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services; and after that, we will keep the personal information for a period which enables us to handle or respond to any complaints, queries or concerns relating to your account. Your information may also be retained so that we can continue to improve your experience with us and to ensure that you receive any loyalty rewards which are due to you. We will periodically review the personal information we hold and delete it securely, or in some cases anonymize it, when there is no longer a legal, business, or consumer need for it to be retained.
A. Data Subject Rights
If you live in the European Economic Area (EEA), you have a number of rights when it comes to your personal data. If you wish to exercise these rights with regards to your personal data that we hold, please contact us using the details set out in the Contact Us section below. Further information and advice about your rights can be obtained from the data protection regulator in your country. These include:
- The right to be provided with clear, transparent and easily understandable information about how we use your information and your rights (which is why we are providing you with the information in this Policy).
- The right to obtain access to your information (if we are processing it).
- The right to have your information corrected if it is inaccurate or incomplete. You can do this through your account page or by contacting us.
- The right to 'block' or suppress further use of your information. When processing is restricted, we can still store your information, but may not use it further. We keep lists of people who have asked for further use of their information to be 'blocked' to make sure the restriction is respected in future.
- The right to request that we delete or remove your data where there is no compelling reason for us to keep using it. This is not a general right to erasure; there are exceptions.
- The right to request that we transfer or port elements of your data either to you or another service provider.
- The right to object to certain types of processing, including processing for direct marketing (i.e., if you no longer want to be contacted with potential opportunities).
- If you have given your consent to anything we do with your personal data, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
- You also have the right to lodge a complaint about the way we handle or process your personal data with your national data protection regulator
Pursuant to applicable data protection law, we may be entitled to refuse to act on the request. To make these requests with ABA, please submit your name, address, and email address, in addition to the specifics of your request, at /contact.
B. Cookies and California Do Not Track Disclosures
For California Residents: Certain parts of our Site require cookies. You are free to set your browser or operating system settings to limit certain tracking or to decline cookies, but by doing so, you may not be able to use certain features on the Site or take full advantage of all of our offerings. Please refer to your Web browser’s or operating system’s website or “Help” section for more information on how to delete and/or disable your browser or operating system from receiving cookies or controlling your tracking preferences.
C. Interest-Based Advertising Choices
To understand your choices for receiving more relevant advertising provided on the Site or across other websites and online services, please review the information below:
- To learn more about such interest-based advertising, and to opt out of such collection and use for interest-based advertising by the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) participating companies, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
- To opt out from the use of information about your online activities for interest-based advertising by Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) member companies, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/.
- If you wish to prevent your data from being used by Google Analytics, Google has developed the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on available here.
D. Other Choices Concerning the Use and Disclosure of Your Information
If you no longer want to receive direct marketing from ABA, we provide you with the opportunity to update you information or opt-out of having you information used for purposes not directly related to placement, processing, fulfillment, or delivery of a product order or servicing of your product.
- If you would like to unsubscribe from any of our services or would like us to remove you from any of our on-line mailing lists, you can (1) Unsubscribe from our email communications at any time by unsubscribing or following the instructions contained within the email; (2) email us at email@example.com with the subject heading "unsubscribe from ABA information"; or (3) call us at 800-637-0037;
- ABA members may access the personal information we have collected about you and correct any inaccuracies by calling us at 800-637-0037;
If you receive marketing communications from one or more ABA affiliates, you must opt-out individually from each of the affiliates from which you are receiving brand-specific marketing communications.
E. YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you are a California resident, you may request information about our disclosure of personal information to third parties or affiliated companies for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us at:
American Booksellers Association
333 Westchester Avenue, Suite S202
White Plains, NY 10604
You must put the statement “Your California Privacy Rights” in the subject field. We are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.
Non-affiliated third parties are independent from ABA and if you wish to receive information about your disclosure choices or stop communications from such third parties, you will need to contact those non-affiliated third parties directly.
Protecting children’s privacy is important to us. We do not direct the Site to, nor do we knowingly collect any personal information from, children under the age of sixteen. If we learn that a minor has provided personal information through the Site, we will use reasonable efforts to remove such information from our files.
We have taken certain physical, administrative, and technical steps to safeguard the information we collect from and about our customers and Site visitors, including through the use of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to collect and transmit your information. While we make every effort to help ensure the integrity and security of our network and systems, we cannot guarantee our security measures.
ABA is a global business and it, or its service providers, may process, transfer, and store information about our users on servers located in a number of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA), including in the United States (where data protection laws may be less stringent than in the country where you live). Since we are committed to protecting your information, we take steps to ensure that there are appropriate safeguards in place when we transfer that data.
To ensure that your data is adequately protected, we only transfer your data subject to suitable safeguards being in place. Where applicable, we only transfer your personal data subject to suitable safeguards being in place, such as through the use of approved standard EU Model Clauses or to companies who are Privacy Shield certified. To find out more about how we safeguard your information (including obtaining a copy of such safeguards) in relation to transfers outside the EEA, please contact us via the details provided in the “Contact Us” section below.
American Booksellers Association
333 Westchester Avenue, Suite S202
White Plains, NY 10604